Saturday, August 16, 2014

SHARKS! SHARKS!

Today is going to be fun!!! W e are all going to Kelly Tarlton's and Steve and Matt are going swimming with SHARKS!

In a cage.  At least that's not quiet so nuts as the other option, as in, NOT in a cage!

Kelly Tarlton's is an underground aquarium type attraction, where you stand on a moving walkway and it takes you through tunnels which are half concrete (the bottom) and half glass (the top)... and you are surrounded by fish/stingrays/lobsters/sharks and so on.

We have been a few times and have enjoyed it.  They also have a penguin enclosure now.  

Kelly Tarlton's Sea Life Aquarium (formerly Kelly Tarlton's Underwater World is a public aquarium in AucklandNew Zealand that was opened in 1985. It was the brainchild of New Zealand marine archeologist and diver Kelly Tarlton (1937–1985).[1][2] Built in disused sewage storage tanks, the aquarium used a new form of acrylic shaping, which allowed curved tunnels rather than viewing areas with flat panels only, as in previous aquariums. The project is also one of the first to use conveyor belts to slowly move people through the viewing areas.[3]

The famous tunnel remains home to New Zealand’s largest shark collection including a Wobbegong shark, which has been with the aquarium since 1987 and is quite possibly the longest living Wobbegong in captivity. Joining the Wobbegong are five Sand Tiger sharks, eight Seven Gill sharks, and eight School sharks.


ABOVE:  Kelly Tarlton himself, inside the old, unused sewerage tanks.


ABOVE:  Building the tunnels.


 ABOVE:  The finished tunnel... now an aquarium.


ABOVE:  a 'map' of Kelly Tarltons, which is all underground.

I have a few photos of the Sky Tower trip from yesterday too:





ABOVE:  Apparently Dante wasn't phased by the glass floor!  He loved it.  I 

know I always try to avoid standing on the glass parts.

Right, that's all I have for now.  I'll be back later with photos of our trip to Kelly Tarlton's no doubt.

ONWARD...

In answer to a couple of questions asked a few days ago:

DOGSTARS:  we have two freezers for ice, kept in the garage.

BELLA:  yes, yesterday's post was in a smaller font as it was playing up on me.

DONNA:  I would love to meet up for a walk with you!  You have me phone number?

Everyone is up, having breakfast and getting ready to go out.  I'm going to

 hang out the washing and pray it doesn't rain.

Off to do that right now...


MARKD60: Oh man I'd love to get in the shark cage... IF... the water was

 warm, remember it's winter here.  And IF I could take a spear gun with me! 

Somehow I don't think that's allowed.

Well.. we left home around 10.30 am for Kelly Tarltons, and got there 

around 11 am.  

We had a good time I must say.

The guys got to get into the shark cage and be with the sharks.  By all 

accounts it was FREEZING, but fun.

I took heaps of photos and a few videos, but don't feel like editing and 

posting any today.

I'm tired!

We spent a good few hours there on our feet and then we had lunch at 

Sylvia Park, Griffin got a haircut and we got home around 4.30 pm.

It will be a quiet evening here, Stew will be watching the rugby, some All 

Blacks game apparently.

I might sew.  Or just chill out.  Dunno.

Well... I spent an hour or so sorting out my fat quarters and getting them into different containers so I can see what I've got a bit easier.
Before they were in little boxes in drawers.
Not any more.

I also finally found the fabrics for the little frog I am going to make.

End of Day:  well 'they' are all watching the rugby and I'm about to go to bed... just as soon as I've edited today's photos ready for tomorrow.
nite nite
How the Aquarium begi

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:09 AM

    That aquarium sounds a lot like Sea World here. You can also take a moving walkway and see many sharks, sea turtles and even penguins. It is pretty neat. Too expensive to go to though and the crowds are ridiculous. Love the view from the Sky tower. Marianne in Orlando

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds really cool! Why aren't YOU going in the shark cage???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a neat day planned ahead scary but neat.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. That reminds me of the aquarium at Six Flags here. We got to spend the night in the room for girl scouts. That must have been pre blogging days since I can't find it on my blog! Found a video online http://youtu.be/oxps-DxCz88

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published once approved by a blog admin. Thank You.