Tuesday, March 03, 2015

TREASURE AND EYES

Well... here's the treasure I found in the Hospice Shop yesterday:


 ABOVE:  I don't know what it's original use was... but I'm going to hang it from one of the beams in the dining room.  Not sure what I shall put in it, if anything.  But Popeye comes to mind.  Not that I have a Popeye of course!
lol


ABOVE:  I bought that little ceramic box a few weeks ago, and yesterday as I was leaving the shop,  I rummaged through a few paintings lying against a wall and lo and behold... I saw this!  I knew it was part of a set... with me already having the little box.  Both are not 'flat', but three dimensional, so really interesting.

Anyway... of course I grabbed it!  It's like a shallow ceramic platter set into a frame.  It's stunning and I just love it. 


 ABOVE:  a few odds 'n' ends.  


ABOVE:  the biggest bargin and something we've wanted for ages, another big wooden board for in the kitchen.  It is huge and really heavy.

So, there ya go.  HEAPS of Treasure.  I love op shops, I really do!

Today I have an eye examination, it's a free yearly thing for diabetics.  One of the 'perks' I suppose.  It's actually really neat, at least we find out early if there's any problems with our eyes.

Besides that, the day is all mine.  I shall no doubt get on with that hand sewing.

ONWARD...

I went out first thing this morning, got some blue fabric for the backing of A Named Cot Bumper for Bex's and Steve's new baby, and also a new presser foot for my machine.  One that makes it easier to see where you are going while doing applique.
I confirmed a few minor things with the flooring people, hopefully can get that moving tomorrow.  

Now I'm killing time till my eye appointment.

DIET:  Going well.  Now lost 6.75 kilos since the start of the year, so on track and doing well.  Had an up 'n' down patch these past couple of weeks, but all in all... good.  
One of the ladies I work with yesterday said "Are you losing weight?", so it must be showing a little bit.

Eye test result?  Me eyes are 100% A.. OK.
Don't need to be seen again for 2 years.


I stopped in at the supermarket and bought a bunch of veges for dinner.  I'm making Broccoli, Feta and Pine Nut Fritters, Zucchini, Feta and Basil Fritters and pork rissoles.
Fingers crossed the fritters turn out, I've not made either before.


ABOVE:  They are supposed to turn out like that.  Time will tell if I do them right or not.

It took me exactly 1 hour to make the fritters ... up to, but not including, to the point of forming the patties and frying them that is.  I have both mixtures in the fridge for now. 
I will make the fritter shapes and fry them right before dinner time. 
Very keen to see how they taste.

Fritter critique:  The zucchini ones were amazing.  The broccoli ones... tasteless!
So... I will be making the zucchini ones again for sure, everyone loved them.

I've just finished hand stitching the binding on the little dragon wall hanging, and will do the hanging loops tomorrow sometime.

End of Day:  well it was fairly busy today, so a good day.
nite nite

12 comments:

  1. great treasures Chris. That large wooden chopping board is awesome! I'd love one like that! PS: how is your diet going, you haven't mentioned it for a while? xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lost 6.75 kgs since boxing day... so going well...slow and steady.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great effort on the weight loss Chris !
    The only Popeye I know is the one that eats spinach, is that the one that you are referring to ?
    As a diabetic we can get a podiatrist, diabetic nurse and dietitian visit but a free eye check once a year is provided through Medicare. Optometrist recommends yearly checks but so far I have found 2 years. It gets expensive getting new glasses yearly especially as next pair will have to be multi focals instead of bi focals ( not musch choice in a small town.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow great loss! Go you. I'm secretly in love with that basket too, but also the paintings! Not much doing down here we have irinman going on sat but town is craycray..... Good for business muggy an hot though.......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done on the weight loss. You are doing well. Love the sound of those fritters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great results on the weight loss front.
    The fritters sound yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:56 PM

    Congratulations on the weight loss ! dinner looks amazing...treasures look good...I used to go to op shops all the time here in Aussie for years...now I am just trying to get rid of everything !

    Cheers

    Peta

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have zucchini fritters often... usually for brunch. Yum. What was your recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  9. 6 large zucchini (not as large as a marrow, but large enough that they have surpassed the perfect small ones that are best for frying fresh)
    2 Onions
    Garlic (as you wish)
    6 tablespoons of rice flour (or wheat flour as per the original recipe)
    2 large eggs
    200g feta
    Basil or Dill .. I used fresh Basil

    Make the batter
    Grate the zucchini into a colander, sprinkle lightly with salt and leave for 30 minutes in the sink.
    Chop the onions finely and slowly cook in a frypan over a medium heat in olive oil until they soften.
    Lightly wring the zucchini out in a teatowel (isn’t it amazing how much juice comes out!)
    Mix the garlic and zucchini into the onion and cook for a few minutes until soft and starting to change colour.
    Stir in the flour and cook for a couple of minutes with the occasional stir.
    Beat the eggs lightly and stir in. Crumble in the feta, herbs, black pepper and salt to taste. Remove from the heat.

    To cook
    Heat 4 tablespoons of oil in a shallow pan and drop in generous tablespoons of the mix. Leave to cook–ie don’t press with the spatula or obsessively fidget with the fritter, until the underside is crispy golden. Turn carefully (they are fragile) and cook the other side.

    Keep the oil topped up, and heated up before new cakes go in the pan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - not too different to how I make mine. I often add other bits and pieces too - grated carrot etc but have not tried Feta so will try that. These are great for brunch too!!!

      Delete
  10. I love op shop bargains... Love the basket it would look nice with candles in or maybe some sort of light?

    ReplyDelete
  11. i made the courgette fritters tonight. I added spring onion and smoked paprika, they were very nice despite me over cooking them on one side. Not quite burnt but almost!!!
    I will try again for sure

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published once approved by a blog admin. Thank You.